Monday, December 5, 2011

The Greatest Gift


First before I forget...funny story of the week.  We were visiting this awesome family getting ready to show them this object lesson and I needed a quarter so I asked.  This is all in Spanish by the way.  Then she said one or two and I responded... "One-O" like one and uno mixed together you know the commonly known language here of Spanglish.  Just comes out on accident sometimes switching back and forth all day between english and spanish.  So then they all started laughing like kind of hard.  I was confused because Spanglish isn't that funny...then the dad told me one-o sounds like a spanish word meaning bat poop.  Oh good.  Haha.  So that is my emberassing moment of the week. :) 

 Fasting and prayer really does work, just like the scriptures say.  Miracles happen.  So remember Rebecca the lady who was doing everything we asked her to.  Reading the scriptures, praying, coming to church and was frustrated because she couldn't feel or recognize any sort of answer.  I felt underneath all the worry and brainstorming of what more can we do that it would come in her time and the Lord's time.  We invited her to the Elder's baptism the other day.  She came with her kids. And yesterday at church when we were talking to her alone she told us, I want to be baptized.  When I saw the man getting baptized yesterday I just felt happy.  And then when you guys were singing Nearer My God to Thee I just almost started crying.  And this is coming from the lady who specifically told us, I just don't understand why people cry when they are sharing their testimony or speaking...I just have never felt that and I don't understand.  WOW!  So if anything the spirit has the power to touch anyone's heart no matter how analytical or logical they are if they are open to it.  Rebecca is awesome and hopefully her 12 year old son will be baptized with her.  

One day this week we were out doing visits with a member after an appointment canceled, and we decided to go visit a woman who the Bishop had told us was less-active.  It sure turned out to be something else.  This lady has been through some awful stuff when she was young.  Like awful.  And because of that she hasn't been able to let go and be happy...that spiraled into a whole bunch of decisions that caused her to lose her friends.  She is now married with 2 little boys and a husband in Iraq to be returning soon.  But she doesn't come to church out of fear I think and she knows it would help her.  I asked her if she had ever considered the role of the Savior in helping eliminate her pain.  She said, no.  Hna Wagner read her a few Scriptures in the bible about the peace Jesus Christ offers us.  They touched her unlike any scripture ever had.  She said, when I was young and going to church these scriptures didn't mean much to me.  But now they apply to my life and they mean so much more. 

We've been working with the senior missionaries to help out this family we are working with.  It is 2 single moms with 6 boys.  They didn't have too many clothes or coats for the cold...let alone much food.  We've got some go getter missionaries here who contacted their kids in Utah to organize the sending of boxes of little boys clothes.  We brought them to them this week and the little boys just started getting all dressed up in church outfits.  It was the cutest thing ever.  They all came to church in their collared shirts and sweater vests.  The spirit of Christmas is truly here.  It is so cool to see people reaching out to others and serving.  To see the smile and gratitude on people's faces just makes my day.

Les quiero mucho.  Disfruten este tiempo de Navidad!  Es algo bien especial.  Estoy agradecida por estar aqui ahorita en este tiempo.

I know the Savior lives.  I know he knows us better than we know ourselves.  He is the greatest gift we can give!  So find someone to share His love with.

Gracias por todo!  I love you :)

Hermana Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment