Monday, December 12, 2011

Diligent Efforts and Graceful Moments







Bueno. Ha sido una semana bien interesante. como siempre. Feliz Navidad!

 Rebecca got baptized on Friday.  It probably was one of the coolest baptisms I've seen.  If I have ever met a complicated person before it is Rebecca.  This woman has incredible faith that will forever be an example to me.  I don't understand what Rebecca struggles with but it seems to me lately there really are lots of people that don't quite believe deep down in their hearts that God Loves them.  Without that belief it is hard to feel his love.  But we have seen Rebecca change whether she noticed it or not, and that is one of the greatest blessings I could ever ask for.  I could see it in her face.  In the way she treated her kids.  Insteading of yelling, asking.  She opened the door one day and had her hair down.  She came to her baptism in a skirt we found for her and makeup.  For  a woman who stays inside all day in her pajamas and has a hard time getting out of bed, that was a huge change.  During Rebeccas baptism we sang Be Still My Soul...As I was concentrating on hitting the high notes and worrying about making it sound just perfect for her, I took a moment to look up at her and saw that she was just bawling.  Coming from the woman who said...why do people cry at church when they bare their testimony or talk about how they feel about the Savior? I don't know if that will ever happen to me...I was just completely filled with the Saviors love when I saw that.  I feel like she really had had that change of heart.  There is a scripture in Ezekial that talks about changing a stony heart into a heart of flesh.  I think of it as a stony heart to a softened one.  That change comes through the Savior.  Through diligent effort.  The adversary doesn't like us to think we can change.  But the reality is that we can.  People's lives CAN CHANGE through Jesus Christ!  I know my own has.

Oh and my graceful moment of the week was during Rebecca's baptism.  Oh my goodness!  So, she had just gotten baptized.  We were inside the doors of the font to give her her towel, and she went in the bathroom to change and we went out the doors to where the conductor was standing and talking...and the people were sitting.  There happened to be a little puddle of water outside the door.  I lost traction and did a nice little dance move to save myself from falling.  Everyone started laughing including myself and then the guy directing said something about Cotton-eyed-joe...at least I got a good laugh out of it. haha..

As for the two families of boys we are teaching and trying to help get back on their feet...the 11 year old, Jose is planning to get baptized hopefully this weekend.  But the coolest thing was seeing him walk so proudly into church with his new white shirt and tie..scriptures in hand.  Like a natural as Dad would say.  He is awesome.  

Yesterday we were teaching Gospel Principles and we decided to change the lesson last minute to Faith in Jesus Christ.  Hermana Wagner showed me a cool scripture in Isiah 64:8 that says 

"But now O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand."

If there is one thing I am learning here in El Paso, it is that.  We are all in His hands.  We have to learn to act in faith in order to see changes and improvements in our lives.  This morning we received a text from a young girl in need...who was alone and needed someone to remind her that somebody loved her.  I am learning that there are lots of people out there that feel that way.  That have gotten themselves so low and so depressed that they don't quite feel there is any way out, and are not worthy of Heavenly Father's love.  I know everyone is worthy of Heavenly Father's love and forgiveness.  

Alma 5:33

Feliz Navidad!  Les quiero mucho.  Recuerden la razon que celebramos navidad.  El espiritu del senor es algo bien especial .  Estoy muy agradecida por la oportunidad yo tengo para sentirlo siempre por el servicio.  Si no esta feliz...haga algo para alguien mas.  Se que lo va a ayudar.

Que tengan una buena semana!

Hermana Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment