Monday, October 3, 2011

New Companion and Conference



Buenas Tardes familia!  Como estan? Ojala que esten bien y estoy feliz que abuelita esta un pequito mejor :)  wow.  entonces...mi nueva companera es La Hermana Wagner from South Carolina.  She is the cutest thing EVER.  I went up to the mission home last mon and spent the night with the two new sisters not knowing which one would be my companion the next day.  When I saw Hna Wagner I kind of knew it would be her.  She is studying exercise science at BYU...Paige looked familiar to her so they've prob had a few classes together.  You know who she totally reminds me of Mom, Anne of Green Gables.  Seriously she is like the cutest thing ever and I know I have much to learn from her.

I feel humbled all over again because at times I feel a bit like I don't know exactly what I am doing.  Teaching people the Gospel is something i've been working at for a while.  Teaching someone how to be a missionary..haven't quite done that other than just doing what I know the very best I can.  So it has been an interesting adventure.  I forgot what it is like to start from the beginning...how overwhelming it is to come in from the MTC and to become aware of all you have to learn.  Especially the frusterations with the language...even though I still feel a struggle every day.  But Hna Wagner is awesome..we have one thing in common.  We don't give up.  And we like to study..  No matter how hard things seem ahead...we had quite an eventful first day together.  Obispo Yoshida was planning on coming out with us to meet the families we are teaching in the evening.  About 30 min before all our apts canceled...and then all our back-ups were unavailable.  I thought of this part-member family we had been meaning to visit...so we went.  It was a bit stressful not going to lie.  We had never taught together.  Not sure Hna Wagner knew exactly what was going on...and from the look on Bishops face not so sure they were so happy we just stopped in.  But it all worked out.  We taught Him the restoration...and we kept trying families the rest of the night.  Plans change...life changes.  Im learning the importance of adapting...trying not to stress...and just think how to solve the problem or situation.


So CONFERENCE...last one for me as a missionary I realized.  Sad...it sure means a lot with the perspective I have right now.  I learn so much.  What were your favorite talks?  Some of my favorite quotes were...

President Uchtdorf~
1. God loves the humble and the meek
2. The Lord entrusts His Gospel to be proclaimed by the simple and weak things of the earth. (That is for sure...and it works)
3. No matter how humble your circumstances...you are not invisible to your Heavenly Father.
4. What you feel now will not forever be.  Those who incline their hearts to Him have Hope.  The most powerful being in the universe loves you and wants you to know you MATTER to Him.

Elder Christofferson~The invitation to repent is an expression of love.  Repentence means striving to change...real repentance may require repeated attempts.  True repentance requires a seriousness to perservere and endure pain.

I hope you all had some questions answered and maybe even learned things you didn't even realize you were searching for.  I did.  We are SO lucky to have a living prophet.  Really...their words are just for us.  And they sure help.  

I loved all the talks about the BOM especially Henry B. Eyrings talk.  I was just reminded of all the answers we can get from the BOM.  The Plan Heavenly Father has for us is right there...We can see how we are doing in Heavenly Father's eyes.  Yesterday we were teaching a less-active member we found and the young mom of 5 little kids that lives with her.  The first time we visited them, this young mom didn't show much interest.  When we stopped by last night they were out cleaning up all the trash in their yard.  We started helping them clean up then sat down and shared a little mensajito with them...We read 3 Ne 11 with her...the beginning when the people hear a voice and don't recognize it at first...but the 3rd time they recognize it.  We were outside her trailor and all the kids were running around there was a paleta man giving ice cream to all the kids...there were tons of distractions.  But Ana looked more attentive than ever.  I could see in her eyes she felt something.  The Book of Mormon is true.  I just know it.  Really, you have got to read that book if you haven't!

I love how Henry B. Eyring talked about speaking at a College graduation where he was told not to speak of religion...or to fulfill his purpose.  But he asked Heavenly Father what he should do...as we all should.  And he knew what he needed to do.  And in the end people were touched.  As a missionary I have felt a little of that before.  You find yourself at a party where the majority would say it isn't appropriate to discuss the Gospel here...these people might be offended...there are millions of excuses that basically all come from fear.  But every time I do all I can to fulfill my purpose as a missionary I get that confirmation that Heavenly Father is happy...

Hna Wagner and I have lots to do.  We are reaching a point in this area were we need to start fresh.  What better way to do it than with a fired up missionary with a fresh perspective and new ideas.  Hna Wagner is already an example in so many ways to me.  She will teach me more than I teach her.  Life is very different now.  But I know it is a crucial part in me becoming the missionary and really the person Heavenly Father wants me to be.  Last night I found myself trying to communicate to people some of the messages of the apostles and prophet from conference...trying so hard to communicate how much help this could be to you.  My words never come out perfect...but I pray that somehow their hearts are touched by the Spirit....because as we learned yesterday in conference...A good teacher helps someone know for themselves...feel and then know.  I know people we are teaching right now feel the spirit.  They have told me.  But they have to make a choice whether they will follow it.  We can't choose for them.

Se que tenemos un profeta viviente.  Se que Dios nos ama y aveces nos miramos como seres humanos con poco significancia...pero en los ojos de nuestro Padre somos sus hijos y a el somos importantes.  Muy importantes.

I  know that Jesus is the Christ and that he loves you and me.  I know we have a living prophet on the earth today that likes to laugh..like you and me:)  I know the Book of Mormon is true.  Never ever feel like nobody understands you because there is always someone who does...our Savior Jesus Christ.

I love you all so much have an incredible week~
Hermana Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment