Monday, October 10, 2011

Life Centered on Jesus Christ

My previous campanion and I
Querida familia~

It was good to hear your voices last night and to know that you are all well.  Grandma will be missed but I will never forget the memories, the love, and her example that she gave us.  Grandpa you are an inspiration.  Thank you for being such an incredible example to me of Service to the Lord and loyalty to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  You and Grandma are incredible.

Last night before we got back to the apartment we were teaching a lesson to a father who doesn't believe yet that Jesus Christ loves him.  His wife and 2 daughters are members of the church...come every Sunday and are super good examples to their Dad.  This family is awesome!  Really.  The Dad has had experiences that I think have lead him to question whether God is really there.  My Companion can relate in her recent experiences....Heavenly Father sure knows what he is doing.  Hermana Wagner just two years ago lost her Sister who was pregnant in a car accident.  She has told me how at first it was hard not to wonder and question what she knew to be true...that God loved her and loved her family.  I've seen people do two things in the face of tragedy.  Turn to God or become angry with Him and doubt His existence.  She explains how it truly tested her faith...but knew what was right.  She knew she would see her Sister again, and that the Lord truly had a plan she just needed to trust with Faith.  She is a strong girl...and most definitely doesn't give up.  I like it....anyway last night we showed this family the Reflections of Christ slideshow about the life of Jesus Christ (Look it up I think it is on Youtube maybe??) but we asked them as they were watching to think about the role of the Savior in their lives.  It really opened my eyes once again to who our Savior really is what he did for us.  And how could any man do all of that, suffer so much, and not love us unconditionally.  He couldn't.  This morning I woke up with burning eyes and a headache not knowing how I would get words out that I would want to say to Grandma...because there is just so much and I turned on the slideshow again.  As I was watching it I realized I know His love.  The Savior means so much more to me than he did before.  He understands me and he understands you.  He is the answer to every one of our problems, worries, or fears.  Give it to Him is what my motto has become.  He can make a lot more of me than I can make of myself.

Then I thought of Grandma and I realized, she also KNEW her Savior Jesus Christ.  She showed that because she served those around her always.  Everything was for him...even if it was sliding froot roll ups into her little Grandkids shoes while they were sleeping.  That is the beauty of a life centered on Jesus Christ.  It is lived for others.

A woman came to church yesterday who I had taught once a while back.  She is the Sister of a member.  She stayed all through church with us.  At the end her daughter asked for a Book of Mormon.  We went and got them one...and as we went to say goodbye and I asked how her under construction house was doing...tears began to well up in her eyes and she began to explain how incredibly hard the last two weeks have been....creo problems with her husband.  She said she had started reading the Book of Mormon last week and felt peace.  She said this is what I need right now.  Heavenly Father has a time for everything.  Because the first time we taught her I knew she knew what we were teaching her was true...she had been introduced before to it by her Sister.  But her kids were starting Catocism and she was going through things with her Husband...and maybe it was all just to hard to do...to change.  But now after a sincere prayer for Heavenly Father to bring people to church who are ready.  She comes.  With a desire to learn. And suddenly finds the peace she has been looking for.

I read something this morning that solidified my growing testimony of the Savior, "Not one of the trials and tribulations we face is beyond our limits, because we have access to help from the Lord.  We can do all things through Christ, who strengthens us."

As I try to explain that to a young, unemployed mother of 5 boys whose husband was just taken from her by immigration and put in jail...who has to pay over a 1000$ in bills by the end of the month or will lose her home...sure is something else.  I can see the pain and misery in her face.  The fear.  I ask her with all sincerity of heart to just read a small part of the Book of Mormon...to sincerely pray to ask Heavenly Father what he would have her do...but then when we ask if she did it.  She says she was to sick with back pain she is suffering from, and/or too busy with the kids.  We cannot force anyone to do the things we ask and promise will bring peace and direction.  But those who do it because they want to find something priceless.  el amor de Dios.  The Love of God.  The ability to overcome their trials.  Because they include Him in the picture.

Queridos amigos...les quiero mucho.  Se que nuestro padre celestial tiene un plan justo y completo para nosotros.  Se que hay vida despues de esta vida y que las personas que ya han muertos estan mas cerca a nostros que pensamos.  Se que hay esperanza en esta vida llena de tribulaciones.  Dios nos ama y esta aqui con nostros..si nosotros queremos y le mostramos nuestra fe.  Nunca duda lo que saben por una prueba que se parece imposible.  Por que nada es imposible cuando el senor esta en nuestro lado.

Family.  I love you guys.  Really.  Thanks for being so amazing.  Every night I wonder how I got so lucky.  Don't know.  But I will be forever grateful.  Remember what we know.  We can live together as a family forever.  The spirit can comfort us and help us feel peace even when things are rough.  You are loved.

By me :)

With all my love, hugs, and prayers
Con todo mi amor, abrazos y oraciones,

Hermana Holland o su hija y hermana Raquel

No comments:

Post a Comment