Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Soy Discipulo de Jesucristo



"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.  I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." ~3 Ne 5:13

Que significa ser discipulo de Cristo?  Yesterday I gave a talk on how my perspective of Missionary work has changed.  It was interesting to think back to the beginning of all this, when I worked so hard and felt so weak.  That part hasn't changed.  I still work hard and I still feel weak but the difference is the weakness isn't debilitating like it used to be because I am learning how to rely on Jesus Christ.  I still have a lot to learn but i've come to realize that I am a lot quicker to give it to the Lord than I used to be.  It is so cool.  It is a miracle.  It is the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  My perspective on Missionary work has changed dramatically.  I've come to realize how important this work is to Heavenly Father.  If it is that important to Him and I really do love Him, than I have to help Him the very best that I can. The true test of that will be when I no longer have my badge and I have the demands of life weighing on me again.  As I examined the course of my mission from the beginning I realized the key ingredient to success in this work has been the support and involvement of the members.  As soon as my focus changed to how could I get them involved...how could I get a member or recent convert out with us at every lesson...that is when the work began to change and people truly started to come unto Christ.  It is interesting that sometimes the lessons we teach touch the member who is with us more than the investigator we are there to teach.  But the Lord has a way of doing everything a lot better than we do so learning to become an instrument in His hands has been my goal.

This week we found lots of new investigators.  Vanessa.  19/20 year old mother of 3 boys.  Como? no se...pero se que ella tiene mucha responsabilidad y es tan joven.  Erik and Jennifer.  19 year old couple about to have their first baby.  No work.  No school...no direction.  Trying to help them all see that the Gospel of Jesus Christ will give them hope as a family.  We are teaching a young man with crazy tattoos all over his face and neck..incluso a 666 above his eyebrow.  He hasn't fully opened up about his past but it seems there was some pretty dark stuff involved.  He said he go those tattoos to see how people would react to him.  If they would judge him.  But there are consequences for every decision...because now he is trying to get a job...and that makes it a little hard.  The lesson of~every decision has consequences has rung clear throughout my entire mission.  I don't know how I got so lucky to be taught since chiquita...the difference between right and wrong and the consequences of bad decisions.  More than anything, knowing that through Jesus Christ there are always 2nd chances and He is SO willing to help when making important decisions.  

By the way I had one of the best Valentine's Days of MY LIFE!  Feliz dia de san valentin!!! En serio.  We found the cutest less-active family...seriously a treasure.  They live in this little farm town that is part of the Elder's area.  A member sent us over there.  It is this little Chilean lady and her Mexican husband.  She got in an accident that left her with back and neck problems so she can't work or do much..but she is an incredible cook and has a heart of gold.  She makes and sells tamales and sweet bread that is oh so delicious and never fails to send us with some sort of incredible baked good.  When we arrived for dinner on valentine's day we were just planning on getting to know them.  As we got to the door La hermana met us and said holding the door...now close your eyes and step up.  She guided us in and as I entered I could smell the scent of burning candles.  She had set up the cutest candlelight dinner for us.  With Chilean empenadas and un pastel de fresas...Strawberry cake.  Next to each of our plates was a valentines day card.  It was the sweetest thing!  Plus she is planning to move back to Chile and says I can come stay with her :)  Totally taking her up on that if it happens.  Anyways they came to church on Sunday also for the first time ever since I've been here that I know of!!  I love these people so much.  They are my family of El Paso.  No quiero dejarles.

Se que el señor nos bendice en maneras que no puedo explicar.  El ser un discípulo de Cristo no es fácil...probablamente la cosa mas difícil he hecho en mi vida.  Pero se que es lo mas importante.  Para llegar a ser como Jesucristo en este mundo no es fácil.  Pero nos da lo mas gozo que existe.  Los quiero mucho a todos.  Abuelo gracias por tu carta.  Tu siempre has sido un gran ejemplo de un discípulo de Cristo.  Voy a seguir tratando de seguir este ejemplo toda mi vida.  

Ps..this photo is back with Hna Wagner of la Hna Favela..she makes the most incredible pan(bread) every week for the Sacrament...she also sells empenadas de calabazas with her bread and likes to give them to us free.  She is a gem.  Love her so much.  Sorry Holls don't have any more recent photos but you know how much I love old ladies...here is one of my favorites of Horizon.

Los quiero MUCHO!

Hermana Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment